Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Wednesday 1 May 2013

The Green Rider review *SPOILERS*



I just finished reading a series called Green Rider today. So far it's a four book series written by Kristen Britain, and my god, it is amazing. I'm going to say right now that the writing isn't the best I've read, but I've also seen worse in published books. I wouldn't really call Britain a professional author, as writing is not her first job (she's a forest ranger), so I'm going to let her off the hook. And she definitely makes up for it in her plots.

The genre is medieval fantasy fiction set in an alternate world similar to our medieval era. The idea is that the king has a messenger service called the Green Riders, and each of them wears a brooch that gives them a tiny bit of magical power. The main character has been pulled into the rider service, and her ability is to 'fade'. The reader soon learns that she's not really fading in appearance, but in time. It's kind of like she's in two times at once, and each time only really sees half of her. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it's all explained in the book.

Anyway, there's an evil guy (obviously) who is actually a spectre from the past. Because of what he had done long ago, magic is actually seen as bad, so the riders have to keep their abilities secret. I don't want to divulge too much, because I honestly hope people will go and read it now.

To sum up, the pros are the amazing plot, and for me the inspiration that someone can produce a series this amazing as a first novel half way through their life.

The cons are the writing and the fact that it's not finished yet. (I'm currently suffering from World Hangover: the feeling of great sadness when you finish a book and are forced back to reality. It's made worse by the fact that she takes forever to write each book, and this one only came out last year.)

The actual book I read was called Blackveil, and here are some additional pictures:


No comments:

Post a Comment