Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Thursday 23 May 2013

The Art of Imagination: Science Fiction

Sorry for another late post, yesterday was busy with work and... well, sleeping in. And before I forget, this blog is now at 2,000 views! Not that impressive, I know. I've been slacking the last couple months. Anyway! Onto the next Speculative Fiction post!

I don't read science fiction often, so this may be more limited than the last post. In fact, my version of sci-fy is more like steampunk-ish. In other words, what I read may have modern elements, such as machines, but much of it is set in Victorian or older eras. Because of my more limited knowledge, I'll just give some examples, rather than try to explain it. Again, please know that this is not true sci-fy, but rather what I know.



Brandon Sanderson (who I mentioned in my last post) is a genius when it comes to interweaving fantasy, medieval and science. This can be seen mostly in his novel The Alloy Of Law, which is the first book in a trilogy that he has yet to write. It also happens to be the second trilogy in a trilogy of trilogies that he has not finished. A little confusing, I'm sorry. The Alloy of Law is set in a kind of Midwestern era, probably a little before the stereotypical time of cowboys. It's fairly steampunk, with the use of trains and guns. What makes it unique is the use of 'magic', or metals. Basically someone can have a power that is activated when they swallow a certain type of metal. In the first trilogy (Mistborn), humans used basic metals, and could either use one, or all, never two or three. In The Alloy of Law, humans can use two (maybe more, I can't remember). the second is associated with another race though, you have to read it to understand. No matter the magical elements, the books, and most of his books and series, has a type of murder mystery feel to it. Maybe not murder, but definitely a riddle that has to be solved. Sanderson handles this very well, giving away tiny hints that seem like they would be overlooked. Kind of like Sherlock Holmes.



The Bartimaeus Trilogy is another good example. I have only read the first book, so I really should not be using it as an example, but hey, I don't have many other options. It's difficult to say when it's set. I would say it's like an alternate modern, but where everyone is always at a Victorian Faire. There are many modern elements, such as cars, but there is also the idea of balls and lavish parties. And of course, there is magic. It's more the well known magic, like in Harry Potter, but it's used through drawings and circles, like the pentagrams associated with witchcraft. It's very well written, and although I have only read the first book, I will definitely get around to buying and reading the second book.


And that's it for today. I apologize for how short it is, but as I've said many times, this isn't my forte. Feel free to suggest though! I'm always happy to add more book to my ever growing list of things to read. (Seriously, it's at least fifty books long now...)

No comments:

Post a Comment