Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Monday 27 May 2013

The Art of Imagination: Modern Ficton

I personally see modern fiction more as teen fiction, because it seems like most of the time it's aimed toward teens. By this I mean that the whole plot revolves around some love triangle, or love octagon, because you know, the more love interest there are, the more interesting the book becomes *sarcasm*. I don't have much respect for these books, but there are a few that are less teen drama and more interesting drama.


Inkheart

I'm sure many of you have heard of this series, either because of the books or the movie. You should also know that the books are amazing and the movie is terrible. But that's a rant for another day. The books start off in modern times, with some people that have the ability to bring characters and things to life from a book, simply by reading it out loud. But when this happens, something from out world must replace what was taken out of the book. In doing so, someone can read themselves into a book. By the second and third book, the setting is more in the world of Inkheart, the book inside the book, so it's not quite considered modern fiction by then.



Harry Potter

I really shouldn't have to remind anyone what this series is about. It's actually very basic. The magic structure makes no attempt to explain how it works, and in several places in just the first book there are major flaws in logic, the most obvious being: how does not one notice people vanishing into a brick wall? But of course, this series was written for children, and children do not normally care for this breaks in logic. It's certainly a popular book series, but in all honestly, it's not even close to my favourite. 

As I've said, I don't read this type of speculative fiction often. I've recorded every book I've read since grade nine, and excluding all books for school, the only modern fiction books I've read have been Twilight (shut up, I was in grade nine), Harry Potter and Inkheart. But once again, make suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment