Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Wednesday 29 May 2013

The Art of Imagination: Animal Fiction

Before I start the regular blog, I've got some news! My picture book (without the pictures) has been selected to be published in my college's anthology. That means I'll have two stories published. Unfortunately, I don't get paid for this, it's all for glory.

And back to the blog. I'm pretty sure there is no real category in speculative fiction called animal fiction, so I'm pulling a Netflix and doing my own thing. Animal fiction is when animals are the main characters, fairly obvious. The thing is, pretty much all animal fiction is speculative fiction, since it's clear that no animal could live a live human enough to have a story written about it. I mean, you can follow the life of a house cat, but that'll just entail it eating, sleeping and pooping all day. In addition, I don't read this type of stuff anymore, so what I post today will likely be more for your adults or kids.


Warriors

These books were actually so good that I might even consider re-reading them today. If I did, I would probably realize how childish they are, but it's still a little nostalgic to see them again. As the covers suggest, this series revolves around the world of feral cats, living in four different clans. The world is so detailed and fleshed out that it surpasses many books written for adults. Furthermore, the characters are very well developed, and the drama and tension is some of the best I've read. Honestly, one of the only things that makes this a young adult or children's book is the fact that it's about cats. 

The Kiesha'Ra series

Okay, I'm cheating a bit here by using shapeshifters instead of actual animals. The first two books of this series are amazing. It's probably a little too cliché for my taste now, but I read them in grade eight, so honestly I didn't care back then. The last three books feel like squeals to a movie; the first couple did well, so more were made to see how long they could float on the success. But, they're all fairly good. The idea with this series is that everyone is a shape shifter. There are four species that are described within the books; Avians, Serpentines, Falcons and Wolves. (Falcons and Wolves came in by the third and fourth books. You can see by how uncreative the names are that the author probably wasn't considering them seriously in the first couple books.) What eally drew me in was the cover art. You can't see it in this picture, but it's kind of metallic, or like a holograph, so that when you move the book, the colour and sometimes picture change. It sounds cheesy, but it's very beautiful.


Ad once again I find myself lacking in knowledge on this subject. Animal fiction is generally aimed more toward younger readers, and although I know I read more than just these two when I was younger, I can't remember any more at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment