Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Saturday 25 May 2013

The Art of Imagination: Historical Fiction

Historical fiction normally is not actually considered speculative fiction, as many of the novels are actually based on real people, and sometimes real events. However, every once in a while you will stumble across the novel that is based in medieval England, or Ancient Rome, or some other historical period and place, and that is speculative fiction. I have not read many of these, though I really would love to. Most historical fiction books I have read are not considered Speculative fiction, but I'll give them a brief mention at the end.



Dragonsword by Gael Baudino

This is a delightful book that I found at a library book sale many years back. I was hesitant to start it because  it looked so tacky. But for once, the phrase 'don't judge a book by the cover' is actually true. It starts out as a little confusing. It seems like there should be a book before it, but eventually everything is sorted out, and you get into the real story. Most of the novel takes place in an alternate Ancient Britain. It revolves heavily around Stonehenge and any magical properties it's believed to have. It's very interesting, even if it's not very historically accurate. Unfortunately, I have yet to read the rest of the books.


Stravaganza series by Mary Hoffman

The covers for these books are pretty awesome, even if they do romanticize the stories a bit. This is an amazing book series that (yet again) I have not finished. I bought the second book in a used book store, and then went on the read the first and third from the library. At that point, the fourth had not come out yet, and when it did, I had moved onto other books. The premise for this series is that an object, called a talisman, is brought from one world to our world and given to someone, therefore allowing them to travel between worlds in their sleep. The other world is a mirror to medieval Italy, with fantasy elements appearing, but not overpowering it. It has a great sense of intrigue and, as far as I know, is fairly historically accurate when it comes to the fighting between higher powers.


Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice

Finally, one you're probably recognize! It's been a while since I've read this, and I'm going to admit that it was a little confusing, and at some parts a little boring. But hey, anything beats Twilight, right? So this is speculative fiction for the obvious reason. I can't quite remember what time it was set in. It starts off in modern times and goes into massive chunks of dialogue that tells the story of the vampire. I believe his story starts off several centuries ago, but it's hard to remember. Either way, it's a fairly good read if you're into literature. I wouldn't advise it for anyone who likes a ton of romance or a ton of action.


And as promised, a few non-speculative fiction historical fiction novels that I've enjoyed:
The Mistress of the Art of Death series by Ariana Franklin
The Light Bearer and The Lady of the Light by Donna Gillespie
Just about anything by Paul Doherty
The Eagle and the Raven by Paula Gedge

No comments:

Post a Comment