Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Tuesday 5 November 2013

Doctor Who review *SPOILERS*

I finally succumbed to this show. I remember seeing an ad for it a long time ago on TV, and thinking that it looked interesting. Even back then, however, I was never able to start watching a series halfway through, and there was no Netflix. Now that I have Netflix, I gave it a shot.

Now I should warn all major Doctor Who fans out there that I'm still trying to piece things together. I didn't start with the very beginning, as I hate old TV shows, and I suspect that it would take me forever. I started with what I believe is the revival of the show after a long break, and I have only finish the first season. Netflix says it's the ninth doctor. So don't start mentioning any earlier doctors and getting angry at me for not having a clue who they are. As it is, I'll probably just call each doctor by some significant feature. Such as the ninth one I am deeming the bald one.

But onto the actual review. Like I said earlier, I hate old shows, especially sci-fi. This is because the special effects are terrible and often comical. Doctor Who is no exception, though it was better than expected. Then again, the one I've watched so far was made in 2005. It's hard to believe that was eight years ago now. I expect the graphics to get better over the years, so I'll stick it out.

As for the acting, I loved the Doctor. I love partly insane characters, they're always more fun. Some actors I think overacted sometimes, especially the temporary ones that only appeared in one or two shows. And I know it's stupid, but Rose wears too much make up. Honestly, in the last episode, you could see a line on her face where her tears wiped the make up off (at least that's what it looks like). She was cool, but I wouldn't mind someone new.

What I'm drawn to most is always the plot though. If you've read any of my other reviews, you know that I can totally bash the writing or acting of anything, and still love the book or show simply because of the plot. And Doctor Who certainly has a good plot. Every show is interesting, with just enough comic relief to keep it from being too serious. And my god, the one with the gas masks I swore must have been a Halloween special. That was the creepiest thing ever. I hate all horror movies, and the fact that I was able to (mostly) watch that episode says a lot. I used to not be able to watch even a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror.

All in all, I'll definitely keep watching. I feel like I was missing a spot on my Nerd Card without having any knowledge of Doctor Who, and I plan on filling that spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment