Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Robin Hood Review *SPOILERS*

Lately I have really gotten into a show called Robin Hood. As you can expect, it's based on the classic character of Robin Hood and the sheriff of Nottingham. The interesting thing is, I've read a Robin Hood book. I'm quite certain that it's not the original tale, since I enjoyed reading it and found it very easy to follow. (The original would likely be in middle English with all the thou's and thee's) Anyway, onto the review.

First off, I have to say that I love all the actors. They are amazing at playing their characters. The main actor, Jonas Armstrong, who plays Robin Hood is simply brilliant. He has the perfect amount of wit, charm and emotions to pull it off. Lucy Griffiths, who plays Maid Marian, is stunning in both looks and acting. Everyone else is great, each one very fluent and trained when it comes to the fighting scenes (Though they may have stunt doubles for that) and just plain amazing. My only complaint may be the over acting of the man who plays the Sheriff, though I'm sure that's just the script. He's an amazing actors, kind of like an older Jim Carrey, but I just feel like his humour and personality don't fit the time period that it's set in.

The show is three seasons long, and unfortunately is off the air now. But since it's impossible to make a show that long based off of one small book, they obviously had to add scene and character that were not from the original books. Normally that would annoy me, but I think they did a fine job with it. The first season is clearly a trial run. They don't stick to any story lines, and keep each episode as a stand alone. In other words, the fifth episode will have nothing to do with the sixth. In the second season and so far in the third, this isn't the case. Every episode relates back to another episode, so it's all tied up better. They even used from references back to the first season.

As I mentioned, they don't stick firmly to the original plot that I read in the book. However, they have the three main characters (Robin Hood, Maid Marian and the Sheriff) along with the smaller characters (Allen of Dale, Will Scarlet, Brother Tuck and Little John), then they add a few that were never mentioned in the book (Guy of Gisborn, Jack, Much, some random guy that died after a few episodes...) I can ever recognize some episodes in the show that happened in the book (The contest for the silver arrow, Little John getting captured)

All in all, it's one of my favourite shows. I'll be pretty bummed when I reach the end, since I know there won't be any more episodes. But that's when I find myself a new favourite show!

No comments:

Post a Comment