Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Monday 21 January 2013

Consumed

((For my poetry class, we have to write a poem in someone else's voice. My friend suggested Edgar Allan Poe, and I think it turned out very well.))


Upon the night two days before last
as I shambled to get water in my glass,
a sudden compulsion overtook my mind
and I swayed in an arc to return from where I came.
With my pen upon my desk I sat
and to the sound of the scratch my mind wandered.
Free of the bonds I looked down and beheld
my body shackled in the chair and that to absolution.
A shell, a shadow, a specter of my surreal self.
Following the followers to survive in monotony
break away to be consumed by the Muses
and through them our blood forms the words
in scarlet letters upon the parchment.
My hand is the tool shadowing the pattern
set out by Them for us all to chase after.
My eyes are blind to the corrupt within,
but I see from within that I cannot escape.
These manacles I forge with every word
and every thought that I think is my own.
I write my death and feel not a thing;
not anguish, nor acrimony or agitation.
I simply write until the blood in my fingers
runs like a red river.

((And as usual, I claim copyright.)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment