Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Thursday 19 December 2013

Doctor Who review Part Two

I posted a review on Doctor Who after watching the first season. Now that I've (almost) finished watching the series (starting with the ninth Doctor), I feel like my thoughts have changed on it.

First I have to say that I absolutely hate the idea of time travel. It messes with my head and there are so many things wrong with it. No fancy words or plausible scientific theories can fix this. Despite this, I love Doctor Who. I have to kind of ignore all the paradoxes that they just skip over and poorly explain. I just tell myself that it's only a show, and that I have to suspend my sense of disbelief. Which really shouldn't be too hard for me, but I like things to make sense and to have reason.

Something else that annoys me is the complete change between the Tenth and the Eleventh Doctors. I liked the transition between the Ninth and the Tenth because it kept the history and the characters from the Ninth, and even brought back old companions even when new ones were present. With the Eleventh Doctor, he seemed completely new, with not just a new body and personality, but with a whole new life. It's as if he doesn't remember anyone from his past lives. I don't understand why he had to say good bye to them all. I loved having the old companions and friends coming back every once in a while.

However, I still loved the Eleventh Doctor and his companions. It was refreshing to see someone who wasn't smitten with the Doctor, nor an annoying stubborn female who thinks that she can boss everyone around. I have to admit, I have not finished with the seventh season, because Netflix doesn't have it and I'm fed up with risking the life of my computer on some risky online site with a million popups and potential viruses. So I'm not sure if I like Claira as a companion, but from what I've seen she seems really good.

And on that topic, I've changed my mind about Rose. I think she's been the only companion that stuck with the Doctor because of the Doctor, not for the adventure and time travel. She still has the annoying overly clingy moments, but it's better than Donna Noble.

And it's getting late and I have to work tomorrow, so I'll leave it here. I will definitely keep watching Doctor Who, though like everything, it has its flaws.

No comments:

Post a Comment