Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Monday 8 July 2013

Halloween in... July?

Sorry for missing the Friday update (right after I had commended myself for barely missing any updates). We had family over on Friday and Saturday, not to mention it was my friend's birthday party on Saturday night. So it's been a little hectic... And I'm forgetful. And since I'm being lazy today, I'm just going to post a very small short story that I had written for a spooky story contest. It's really not that scary, since I would probably give myself night mares if I actually tried to write a scary story...

“You, over there. Yes, you. Come here.”
A young woman hesitantly walked over to one of the bright tents of the travelling circus, a spindly young man standing in the doorway wearing a grin.
“You’re the fortune teller?” She asked upon catching a glimpse of the inside of the tent.
“I am indeed. I can see into the catacombs of your mind and life. Would you like a peek?” He stepped back into the tent, holding the door flap open for her.  Inside were jars filled with small, dead animals, floating in a sickly liquid that made them look only asleep. The scent of herbs and spices barely overpowered the smell of death.
“Now now, what an interesting future you have.” He purred as he circled around her. “So many possibilities, so jumbled in such a short time.” He reached forward and made as if to pluck something from her head. He stretched it out like a string and investigated the invisible thread. “Such a bad choice. Oh no no no, you should not have come.” He looked up from his reading, the light casting odd shadows over his face and turning him into a living revenant. With one quick motion, he snatched up her hand, tracing with one long finger each line on her palm. “So short, so short. Faded like a dream…” He trailed off into silence, then looked down at her, a malicious smile creeping over his lips. “What is your name?”
“Abigale.”
“Well Miss Abigale. Welcome to our show. Would you care to join it?”
“I don’t think I would make a very good carny.” She stated nervously.
“Oh, no need for that. We have a wonderful display of phantasms. So lifelike, almost as if they were real humans.”
“I think I would rather go home.”
“Oh but the show is about to start.” He grinned and pulled back the door of the tent.
Off in the direction of the big tent, a blood curling scream rang throughout the circus.

“They call me The Jinx. My fortunes are not very fortunate.”

No comments:

Post a Comment