Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Tuesday 23 July 2013

A Glimpse at the Past

I didn't forget this time! I just kind of procrastinated... Anyway, I'm tired, so I'm going to treat you to the first several paragraphs of a novel I had started years ago. You should know that I've scrapped this version and started working on a newer one not too long ago (Okay, a couple years ago...), but it's always fun to go back and look at what I used to be. I have stuff from even farther back, but that's even more embarrassing.



            Thick black smoke curled around the floor just outside a large wooden door, followed a few seconds later by a loud bang. A serving girl scurried past, apparently not all that surprised by the explosion. The door slammed open, and a young man stumbled out, coughing hard. The smoke settled on everything it touched, forming a thick layer of soot. Another serving lady appeared around the corner, holding a wet towel in her hands.
            “For you, my lord.” She said quietly, and then hurried off once the man had taken the cloth. With a sigh, he scrubbed his face clean.
            The young man had dark brown hair, just long enough to brush his shoulders, without having to be pulled back. His dark blue eyes were red from lack of sleep, and no doubt from the black dust flying around, and his clothes could have come from a wealthy merchant, with a plain white shirt embroidered at the cuffs and collar, and brown tight fitting breeches, with even more embroidery.
            “Again?” An amused voice asked from down the hall.
            “I just can’t seem to get it right, father.” The younger man said in a resigned tone. “Everything I try, it blows up or does nothing. Every combination I can think of. It just does not work.”
            “Don't give up, Tanlar; I'm sure you will get it soon.” The older man, Lord Eiad, patted Tanlar on the back and gave him a joyful smile.
            “But it’s hopeless! I have been trying and trying for over a year now. Nothing I try has worked!” Tanlar threw the towel onto the ground, where an unseen servant hurried to pick it up. Already there were maids running around the two men, cleaning the walls and floor from the black dust.
            “You know you can’t say that!” Lord Eiad said growled as he let his anger get the better of him. Tanlar pursed his lips and looked pointedly at the mess around him with a raised eyebrow.

            “Fine, I will work on it for one more month, if I haven't finished anything by then, I will give up.” Without waiting for a reply from his father, Tanlar stormed off back into the room, slamming the door shut behind him and raising another small cloud of black dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment