Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Friday 12 July 2013

A Fork in the Road

As most people my age will understand, I've been having a lot of questions and debating about school. More specifically, what school. I've been going to a small community college for the past two years, since it's really close to my house. Unfortunately, I can't get past my second year in my creative writing degree there, so I have to transfer to a university. Lucky there are plenty of universities around here, but that just brings up the problem of too many options.

I've limited it down to two universities, both of which are a fair distance away and will require a lot of transit. The first one is a very high quality and very expensive university. It's also the one my mom went to, so naturally she's pushing me toward that option. The university is called UBC, and it has a fairly good creative writing program.

The second university is Kwantlen, and has only recently been upgraded to university status, so it's less expensive and easier to get into. It also happens to be directly related to the program at my current college, so it would be easier to finish my degree there.

I applied to both, just in case, and I heard back very quickly from Kwantlen. It was accepted pretty much because of the connection between the two schools. I would have to finish off a couple courses in my second year before going into my third though.

Then tonight, right after getting home from work, I found an e-mail from UBC saying that I've been accepted! It says that I've been accepted into the bachelors of arts program, but I'm not sure if that means that creative writing program, as I'm supposed to send in portfolio to be review, which I didn't do because I was waiting to be accepted into the university.

Now I just have to chose. Kwantlen is less expensive, but a degree from UBC is just worth so much more. Then again, how much is a creative writing degree really worth? Writing isn't all about learning, there has to be natural skill, which a school cannot provide. Either way, I'm going back to my college for one class in the fall, so that I can get my associates. By this point, I'm considering taking the winter semester off to work, and to try and figure out where to go.

If anyone has any opinions, please speak them! I'm terrible at making choices.

4 comments:

  1. I'd suggest KPU (Kwantlen), I'm a student there myself. I came here because it was cheaper than the other universities, but I stayed because of the extent of resources and support available. Nothing compares to the small class sizes. KPU is practically my second home. I love it here. Yes, UBC has a bigger name, but the name won't take you far,if you don't have the skill set. Like you said, you'll get hired based on your skills and degree - where you graduated from doesn't matter as much.

    Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was starting to lean toward UBC, but now I'm beginning to reconsider. They have a $250 free to accept their acceptance, which I'm not happy about. I'm assuming Kwantlen doesn't do anything similar, as they have not asked for any money.
      My biggest problem would be getting there. Are there any buses that take you there from the skytrain?

      And thanks for the help, it's rare if I find anyone that goes to Kwantlen.

      Delete
    2. For Kwantlen you just need to pay a $250 deposit, but that amount goes towards your tuition, so it doesn't really matter. As for commuting, depends which skytrain you're coming from. There's buses that run from the Surrey Central and Brighouse stations.

      Delete
    3. On average, how much would be it per class? I know UBC charges about $250 per credit, so it can be from $750 to $1500 for one class, which is the main reason why I'm even considering Kwantlen.
      Hmm, I had applied for the Richmond campus, because I had not seen a bus that went directly to the Surrey campus; apparently I'm completely inept at reading maps. Think there is a way to switch campuses?

      Delete