Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Monday 17 June 2013

Meet the Characters: Tristan

Welcome to my third Character Conversation. I've finally done a guy, though he isn't much of one... I've written this one a little more like a conversation in a novel instead of an interview, which helps to use show not tell. Show not tell is describing something in a way that doesn't outright say it. Telling would be "he had blue eyes, short brown hair and stood at six feet tall. He was a shy boy that didn't like to talk to people." Boring, right? Below is an example of showing, rather than telling.

Hello, what is your name?
Tristan.

Alright, Tristan what?
Tristan Monroe.

Not much of a talker, are you?
Uh, no.

Well this should be interesting. Tell us a bit about yourself. What do you like to do?
I like to take pictures.

Oh that’s cool. Are you any good?
I think so. I’ve won some competitions and been in a few magazines.

That’s impressive for someone your age… How old are you, anyway?
Eighteen.

You look older. Must be your height. Who do you get that from?
My dad. My mom is short.

Typical. What about your eyes. They’re a very beautiful blue.
Still my dad. Same with my brown hair. He also gave me his terrible eyesight.

Sounds like you’re not related to your mom at all.
Oh, well, uh…

Aw, I’ve gone and made you blush. I’m sorry. It must be hard for you to talk to girls.
They don’t talk to me, so I don’t make the effort to talk to them.

Sounds reasonable. So you’ve never had a girlfriend?
Um… No, not really. Well, not at all, actually…

You’re blushing again. Let’s stop this interview before you bite your tongue while stumbling over it.

Thank you…

No comments:

Post a Comment