Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Thursday 13 June 2013

Meet the Characters: Arica

Sorry for the late post, it had completely slipped my mind yesterday. 
For the next couple weeks, I'm going to do another instalment, this one to introduce the characters that I have created for short stories or ideas for novels. If you remember way way back, I posted a character conversation. I'm going to be doing similar ones for the rest of my characters.
The first one is Arica. I'm trying to maser her voice, which is supposed to be a farm girl from Victorian England, which means mostly uneducated and not very cultured. This conversation also takes place before any events in the novel, so any hints to the plot are kind of buried ad hidden.

Why don’t you being by introducing yourself.
I’m Arica Mason, daughter of Claire and Andrew Mason.

Very nice. Are you descended from masons then?
I think, but we don’t have any records of our family past my grandpa on my papa’s side.

How interesting. What about your mother’s?
Nothing past my mama and aunt.

So you have an aunt? Is she like your mother?
I’ve never met her, but my mama doesn’t like to talk ‘bout her.

And who do you take after?
My mama, of course. She raised me to be a good girl.

Not a Lady?
My aunt is the lady. I’m just a farm girl.

Where is your farm?
Southern England somewhere. It’s in the middle of nowhere.

And what makes your aunt a Lady?
Well she wasn’t born into it, if that’s whatcha think. She married a rich man.

Does that make her a Lady?
Donno. My mama is always calling her 'Lady Annette', then rolls her eyes and throws her hands in the air.

Tell me more about your mother.
She’s beautiful, even after mucking out the barn. I have her gold air, but mine is never as shiny as hers. She says it’s made of sunshine, and that mine’ll be the same when I get older, and that hers’ll turn silver and be made of moonbeams instead.

She sounds like a poet.
Nah, she just likes things like that. She made me a song once, and sings it to me every night.

Like a lullaby. Aren’t you a little old for that?
I’m only fourteen. ‘Sides, she keeps telling me to remember it. Maybe so I can sing it to my kids when I have them.

How sweet. Do you plan on having kids then?
Need a husband first, and all the boys around here are gross. They’re immature and rude, and half of them are chickens.

Are you saying you’re braver than them?
Course! I can ride any horse, and I once chased a raccoon away from our coop.

How brave of you. What about when you’re older?
Maybe. He has to be strong and courageous though. Maybe he’ll be a swordsmen, and take me on adventures. We can find dragons and elves.

There is no such thing as dragons and elves.

Who says?

No comments:

Post a Comment