Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Tuesday 27 November 2012

30 Hour No Famine

I was supposed to be doing the 30 our Famine on Thursday, but I just received an e-mail telling me that because the Famine is a liability to students, it's been cancelled.... Now, I did it for four years in High School, and there was never any trouble... But there isn't much I can do. Maybe it'll be different next year.

I guess this means that it's a good thing that no one bothered to donate online. However, the Student Union is still accepting money to donate to World Vision, so if anyone still want's to donate their spare change, you have until Friday afternoon. I know several of my friends are willing to give up the six dollars I was going to spend on their presents (Not much, I know, but I'm currently lacking a job, and therefore the funds to go all out on presents) At the last count, I had $44 promised to me, $20 of which was an extra donation from a friend who has a job and can actually afford to be charitable.

I'm finding it rather hard to believe that students are not allowed to starve themselves for 30 hours, out of their own free will, to raise money for families who have starved their whole lives. It really makes you think about the priorities of society today. And although I suppose I understand that there is a lot on the line if something serious does happen, I think the easiest way to fix that is to get the participants to sign a waver. If they're acknowledging that they know what they're doing, and all the risks to go with it, and that the school is not to be blames for anything, then what would the harm be? If worse comes to worse, the event could have taken place off of school grounds, but that makes it much harder for the sleepover. (Yes, the college was planning on having a sleepover. I think it would have been exciting to sleep overnight at the college, but I wasn't able to make it to the sleepover either way.)

Anyway, to sum up, no 30 Hour Famine this year. Maybe I'll find some other charity event next semester to participate in, or even something at UBC next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment