Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Monday 1 October 2012

Character Sketch

((Okay, so I'm still sick, more so than on Saturday, so I'm just going to post a character sketch I did for one of my creative writing classes.))


Some children can boast about growing up in a mansion. Some on a farm, some in an
apartment, some in a house with a white picket fence. I, however, surpass them all. My one and only
home has been the circus.

 Yes. I, Linx Greyson, am a true carney. That is not to say I am a freak. I am not seven feet tall,  nor do I have an unnatural amount of muscles. While I can walk on a one inch ledge and clamber up a pole  in seconds, I am not a tight-rope climber or an acrobat. I have all my limbs, no less, no more, not like the bearded lady, who lost her finger to the tiger.

If I ever ventured away from the tents and colourful wagons, away from the walls that marked the boundary of my home, I might look like any average citizen. Sure, I may be skinny enough to look good in the outfit of a medieval court fool, but I don’t think the hat would flatter my face. Besides, I am a fortune teller, not a fool.

We had stopped on a night when the dark clouds were blocking out the setting sun. As I sat watching the strong man and lion tamer set up the banner to welcome guests to our humble circus, a beautiful young woman walked up to me. With a charming smile and a flourishing bow, I welcomed her into my home.
“I am looking for the main tent.” she said, hesitating near the door.
“In five minutes you can leave here knowing not only where the tent is, but where you will sit, when you will leave, and who will be the poor person volunteered for a trick.”
She smiled nervously, but my hints of the future lured her into my tent.

Now I am not a fortune teller with a wart on my nose, my hair long and scraggly and a dozen
shawls covering my body. In fact, I like to think I am quite fashionable. My hair is even custom cut by the
circus tailor. She claims that short, blonde spikes are very popular among the kids. So I can see no reason why this girl would be afraid of me. Maybe I was simply too confident. No matter the reason, I can understand why she left mortified after what I had to tell her.

“Ah, yes, a smart young woman. A good, healthy life so far.”
“I thought you said you were a fortune teller.” The girl frowned
“I am. I can see you will not die of sickness, nor do you walk in alleys alone at night. That shows you at least have some common sense.”
She glared at me as if I had insulted her.
“But moving on…” I took her hand and traced the lines. Short, faded… “Well now, Miss Abigale, it seems you may be healthy, but something will still go wrong.”
“I never told you my name.” She stated
 I nodded to her bag, where someone had scrawled her name in orange highlighter. I then brought out a small velvet bag and pulled out three stones, facing them down so that nothing showed. The first one I turned over was Elhaz, a rune looking like a Y with the centre line going up past the fork.
“How interesting.” I mused. It was upside down. “Vulnerability and sacrifice.” The next rune was Mannaz, a rune similar to the letter M.  “But there may be hope, if you accept it.”
 “And the last one?” She gazed worriedly down at the stones.
I flipped it over:  Lagaz, a simple line with a shorter line falling down to the right. Also upside down, a
very bad sign.
“If you do not take my advice, you may be in for a rough night.” I tore my gaze away from the stones to look at her.
“And your advice would be?”
“Run.”


((And once again, all that copyright stuff. Don't take credit for any of my work.))

No comments:

Post a Comment