Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Tuesday 29 July 2014

Mirror Sight review



A long time ago I did a review on the Green Rider series, prior to reading the fourth book, Blackveil. Now I've just finished reading the fifth book, Mirror Sight, and I'm very excited to review it.

If you've read the previous review, you'll know that Kristen Britain is not my favorite author when it comes to prose and her actual writing. I love her because of her plots. This most recent book, however, was significantly better. There still are parts where I was mentally correcting and editing her work, but I tend to do that with most books.

And again, like in her previous books, the plot was the significant factor. She definitely upped her game in this recent book too, just as she did her writing. There is rarely a down moment, keeping her readers hooked until the very last page. Although I always believed these books were meant for young adults (ages 13 and older), I can see that it's progressed more into an adult fantasy. Not to say it's anywhere near in graphic sex scenes as George R. R. Martin, but it does include more romance than the average book I read.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*
And on the topic of Martin, this book is a close contender when it comes to character deaths. I don't think it's even possible to have as many as Martin, but it's the few that just want to make you cry. I'm not an emotional person. I'm normally happy when an author takes a different path and kills off nearly all the characters, or the main character. However, with every death in this book my heart dropped. Britain did a great job at connecting the reader to the characters, even if they were just a small element.

This book was full of surprises for me, but by far the biggest one was just finding it. Normally Britain takes forever to come out with new books, but either I wasn't paying attention to the time passing, or this one came out much sooner than I expected. I suppose she's getting more serious about writing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment