Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Friday 19 December 2014

The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies *SPOILERS*

So yesterday my boyfriend and I went to go see the final Hobbit movie. Aside from the row of guys in front of us with a running commentary, I really enjoyed the movie. I know a lot of people complain about it, but I believe that the good outweigh the bad.

One of the biggest complaints I've heard (aside from it being split into three movies), is that it's comical. This is true, I suppose. But the movie is based of a kid's book. The book is comical and childish. Of course, parents these days would say that it's way too graphic for kids, but that's because most parents these days are paranoid idiots that think that any little bit of violence will turn their child into a monster. Furthermore, there is very little violence in the book, not until the spider scene. Even then, the actual battle of the five armies is condensed to a few pages, with very little details except for scenes that are actually away from the battle.

I can see why anyone who has not read the book will think that the movie is comical, especially when compared to The Lord of the Rings movies. But keep in mind that the Lord of the Rings books were written for adults, along with just about all his other work. The Hobbit was meant for kids. But of course, who knew that, right? Most people must have been expecting something more along the lines of Lord of the Rings. And, about it might not seem like it, Peter Jackson gave them so much more than the book does.

First off, There is no Legolas and Tauriel in the book. Their little story wasn't needed in the movie. It was to add a bit of romance, and nothing else. Tolkien had not a bit of romance in The Hobbit, and I actually preferred it that way. I guess Jackson was trying to bring in a greater audience, such as girlfriends and females that would not normally see the movies.

Then there is the whole scene near the end of the movie with Fili, Kili and Thorin. This was perhaps my favorite scene, because it's only briefly skimmed over in the book. (Major spoilers ahead) As I said, in the book the final battle is very short. There's barely any details, and what there is isn't violent. In the movie, Jackson went into detail about the death of Fili and Kili, and how Thorin killed the Orc leader (who's name is slipping my mind right now), then died too. I think this was brilliantly done.

When people complain about it the comedic relief. That is, the three Ogres in the first movie, the barrel escape in the second movie, and Dain and his dwarf army in the third movie. All these are in the book though, and are very important scenes that Jackson could not cut out, and could never be forgiven if he changed them into something more serious. These scenes defined the book as a children's novel, and although the movie is not meant for kids, you cannot just cut out such important scenes.

So I would give the movie a 4/5, I suppose. I still love Lord of the Rings the best, but the Hobbit has more action and more comic relief, which I love. I can look forward to having a Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movie marathon soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment