Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Thursday 2 October 2014

The Silmarillion review

It's been a while since I've done a review, and that's most;y because I've been slogging through The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. I absolutely love The Lord of the Rings movies and the Hobbit, both the movies and the book, so I decided to give more of Tolkien's work a shot. I've already read the Fellowship of the Ring and got halfway through The Two Towers, but gave up when it got to the Frodo and Sam part. I've grown up quite a bit since then, so I figured I would be mature enough to read The Silmarillion.

Well, I wasn't wrong. It just took me a few weeks to read it. It's only 366 pages long. There's nothing actually wrong with it, and I was interested, but there was just so much going on. The whole book encompasses thousands of years, and at least two remakings of the world. There are so many people and names and places and events that I'm not really sure what happened. I could probably remember the more important things, but most of it has just been mixed together.

But of course, that's Tolkien. I remember The Lord of the Rings books being the same, and that's another reason why I stopped reading them. I always thought it was because I was so used to the movies that the books were just too different. But I think it's honestly just too much going on.

I might try to finish reading The Lord of the Rings later, especially now that a lot of events, at least from the movies, has been cleared up from The Silmarillion.

No comments:

Post a Comment