Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Tuesday 21 October 2014

Magnetic

Some people have horseshoes up their butts, some people have mirrors. I must have magnets, because something about me is screwing with all my electronic devices.

Let's start from the beginning. A while ago my sister bought Microsoft Office with three downloads on it. One she used for her laptop, one for our new desktop, and the third was going to be reserved for the next computer anyone got. That ended up being me. Unfortunately, the key was not at home when I first got my laptop, so I decided to wait until my sister came home from university. During the summer I didn't download it, but during that time it expired. That's right, Microsoft Office now expires. Because those greedy bastards know that we will pay them a tribute of a hundred dollars each year to keep using their product. So my parents payed the hundred dollars, and a week later I downloaded my copy. But of course, because I didn't have it downloaded when they renewed the license, mine was still expired. Because it can expire when not in use, but can;t be renewed if not in use. Again, the whole greedy bastards thing. I still haven't renewed it, because I'm reluctant to give them any more money.

So for school I've been using the desktop computer, which is fine, since it's hooked up to the printer. But of course when I go to print my short story for class yesterday, the computer says the printer isn't there! It's plugged directly into the bloody machine! I tried turning the printer off and on, unplugged and replugged everything. Eventually I decide that it's just not going work. Luckily, we have another printer. Which doesn't have a power cable... Easy fix, I take the power cable from the old printer and plug it into the new one, which I then plug into the computer. Nothing. So it's my computer that's having problems.

Next step is to e-mail my story to my laptop. Even though I can't write or edit anything, I can still bring up word documents on my laptop. From there I try plugging it into my old printer, as that's the one I know should work. It doesn't. I guess it's just so old that my laptop doesn't recognize it as a printer. So once again, I plug in the new one. This time it works! After half an hour or hitting and yelling at my computer and printer, I finally get something to work! And just in time, because I then have to rush to get out the door for school.

And this isn't even the only technical problem I have. My ipad (about 3.5 years old now) likes to randomly crash some programs. My phone (2 years old), likes to sometimes crash the texting application, and even worse, the phone application. My phone sometimes gives me the message that 'this application has crashed' when someone calls me. It can't even do the most basic function of a phone! My router (about 10 years old), barely works. In the past month, I think just about every night it slows down to a crawl. That could be because of all the devices using the internet, but it's more likely that our router is just ridiculously old and needs to be replaced. My laptop (less than a year old) is holding up pretty well, but I should probably figure out how to run the anti virus software... It also has some trouble connecting to the internet, but again, that might be the router. My Wii U (I think 2 years old?) also has trouble connecting to the internet, and for some reason won't let me play a Link to the Past. That's probably more a glitch in the game than the device though.

I'm not very good with technology. Normally my generation is, and I'm actually pretty good about using it. It's just that technology doesn't like me, and in return I'm starting to really hate it... Even though I know I could never live without it.

1 comment:

  1. Greedy bastards is right - to hell with Microsoft. I refuse to purchase or install it on any of my devices. If if can't be done in Google documents, then it doesn't get done. LoL.

    ReplyDelete