Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Thursday 5 June 2014

The Glory of Short Hair

For most, if not all, of history, women are expected to have long hair, or at least longer than the average male. In today's society, this is less important, but still there. It's rare to find a guy that would actually prefer to date a girl with short hair, and just as rare to find a girl who would rather have short hair than long hair.
As most people probably know, I have short hair. I've had short hair for several years now, and in that period, the longest I've had it has been just above the shoulders. People say I look great with short hair, but I don't keep it like this just for the appearance. So here is a list of all the great resons for a girl to have short hair.

1) It's easy to take care of. There is no blow drying, straightening, curling, pulling back or whatever girls do these days. All I have to do is wash it, then towel dry, and it comes out looking great almost every time. 

2) I use a lot of shampoo and conditioner. As opposed to the mound of shampoo and conditioner that long hair needs, I use about the size of a dime for shampoo, and about the size of a quarter for conditioner. It lasts for a long time.

3) It doesn't get messed up in the wind. Well, not too messed up, and whatever happens, I can fix it basically just by shaking my head. 

4) I don't have to pull it back for work. As long as it's not really in my face or hanging down, I don't have to do anything for it for work.

5) People notice it more than long hair, especially right after a hair cut. I suppose this is going back to the appearance part. People will notice and compliment me more often with my short hair than when I had it longer. I swear, in one week I will probably get about three compliments. Most often it's people who seem to think I've changed it, and will say 'I love what you've done with your hair'. I get a little confused, because it's the same every day. But I accept the compliment anyway.

6) It makes me feel brave. Amazingly enough, yes it does. Most girls would feel self conscious, and just because I don't feel that way, I feel better about myself. I know I can be different and have a hair style that is not always considered beautiful, and I can pull it off. I honestly believe that most girls would look great with short hair too, but they're too scared to try.

7) It's fun to run my hand through it. I really have no explanation for this. It just is...

8) If you want to dye it, just grab one of those root touch ups. Unfortunately for me, they never have the auburn colour that I love, so if I want to dye my hair, I have to use a whole package, which is normally about four times more than I need.

9) If any hair falls out (and you know it will), you'll just be stuck with little strands, rather than those massive monstrosities that you could use as thread to stitch up a hole in your shirt. 

10) This might just be me, but if you ever cosplay or dress up for Halloween, it's easy to be a male character. Considering most of the best characters are male, this comes in handy from time to time. 

11) It's great to stay cool in the summer.


But of course, there are a few cons.

1) If you want to do anything fancy, you're pretty much limited to using gel. And gel never seems to work in my hair. 

2) If you want to dress up as a girl character from a movie, book, show or video game, you're very limited unless you have a wig.

3) If you want a boyfriend, it'll be hard to find one that is happy with dating a short haired girl.

4) It can be very cold on your neck in the winter.

5) If you want it to stay at a certain length or style, you have to get it cut every month.

No comments:

Post a Comment