Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Like a Shark in the Air

Oh man, I had a great weekend. The highlight was going up flying in a tiny little plane. My dad's old work friend got his pilot licence, so after many weeks of waiting, we finally got a nice weekend. We were trying in February, but every weekend we planned it for, it started raining... or snowing. I was lucky enough that they had planned it for a Sunday last week, because that's the only weekend day that I wasn't working.

On Saturday though I was working at a Heritage Tea. Despite all the work, and a lot of standing on hard concrete floors, it was a lot of fun. I got to dress up in a beautiful red skirt and a nice lacy blouse. I with I had a wig so that my hair would have matched the outfit too. After that day though, my whole body was sore, even my arms and back. We had to do a lot of lifting to get chairs and tables set up and put away. I might post some pictures later, but I'm lazy and you know me. I probably won't post anything...

But back to flying! The plane was tiny, barely even fit four people. I think it was made in 1982, or something like that, but that's actually fairly modern, compared to some of the plains we say. I'm also very proud to say that I was not scared at all. I think I might be a little reckless when it comes to my life.... But we all survived, and there was never any danger.

The flight was beautiful. The whole time I was trying to find of a poem to write, to capture everything I saw in words. But there was just so much that I gave up. The one thing that stuck with me was one time as we were flying low, and you could clearly see the shadow of the plane. It was like a shark in the water. And it's amazing how many more details of things you see, even things that you think would be better seen from the ground. Just the way the water moves. It doesn't look like it's flowing, but rather shimmering.

It was just so amazing. If anyone ever gets the chance to go flying in a tiny little plane, take it! Being in a massive jet is so much different. You never see the ground and the surroundings as much as you do in a small plane. No matter how terrified you are, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment