Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Monday 12 August 2013

Digging a Little Deeper Part 2

(So I'm not feeling all to well. I think I'm probably dehydrated still, but no matter how much I drink, it doesn't help my headache. I guess I should be drinking water and not juice or pop though... Anyway, because I'm feeling uncreative today, here is another few paragraphs from my first attempts at writing.)

Arica woke up gasping, sweat trickled down her brow. Damien was staring at her, concern filling his green eyes. As soon as he saw she was awake he sighed and leaned back.
“Finally your awake, you woke me up with all that talking, and the scream at the end, before you woke up. What were you dreaming about?” He asked and shook his head as if he would rather not know. Arica sat up from where she had fallen onto the ground.
“I- I don’t really know…” She stuttered. A beam of sunlight danced across the floor through the open window. All signs of the night's showers were gone, replaced with twittering birds and fluttering butterflies.
“We're almost there.” Damien said and point out the window. Arica joined him and smiled. It was true; they had arrived at a large white farm house. Acres of green grass rolled along the hills, showing off well muscled horses as they grazed in large paddocks. At the large oak doorway stood a well dressed woman, waiting patiently with an old butler. The wooden wheels of the carriage crunched along the gravel path as the house got closer. Finally it halted and the door swung open. The old butler was walking off towards the back, where Damien and Arica had thrown their bags.
“I can’t believe it!” Damien said as the woman walked over. She scowled at their rumpled clothes then turned towards the butler, who was dragging both heavy bags around the carriage.
“Bring those bags inside and tell Cecilia to take them to the rooms.” She said then turned back to the cousins. “I am Annette, Lady of the house.” She said briskly and turned around. “Follow me.” With a wave of her hand, Annette strutted up the driveway. Arica and Damien exchanged amused glances before racing after their aunt.

“Wow.” It was the first thing Arica said as they entered their new house. Damien stood at the entrance, mouth open wide in shock.
“Come on then, don’t just stand there. Lars is waiting for you in the study.” Annette said and led them into a well lit room. Three walls were covered in large wooden bookcases while the remaining wall had an oak desk against it. Behind the desk was a rather large man, who looked up from the fat book he was reading when they entered.
“Ah, yes, the children. I am Lars, the man of the house. I do hope I’m guessing correctly when I say you are Arica?” Lars said and took Arica’s hand into a firm handshake. She winced at the pain and managed a weak smile. Next he turned to Damien and gave him the same warm welcome.
“Now, I hope you don’t mind, but I’m pretty busy here.” Lars said and shuffled back behind the desk. Annette turned around and hustled the kids out the door, where they were instantly turned up the stairs and towards two doors.
“This is where you two will be sleeping; your bags should already be inside.” Annette said. Once their aunt had gone downstairs and was out of sight, Damien and Arica rushed to their rooms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment