Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Wednesday 12 September 2012

First Review: Sherlock

Yesterday before class, when I should have been doing homework or reading or something else productive, I instead went online to watch a few episodes from a really good TV show. It's a British TV show, but as far as I know they have about six episodes in Canada and the US. Maybe more, but they only have three on Netflix and six on the site I was one, so I'm just assuming.

The show is called Sherlock, and yes, it is based on the novel Sherlock Holmes. This show, however, is set in modern day London, so they have all the technology of today, and of course, a British accent, which makes me really love it.

When comparing it to the recent Sherlcok Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law, I would most definitely go with the TV show version. The movie may be funnier, longer and in all honestly, Jude Law makes a much handsomer Watson, but the modern version is much more viewer friendly. Unlike in the movies, it makes it very clear what Sherlock is seeing, and describes his thoughts with much more detail. In fact, if the part is important, you will go into the mind of Sherlock. It's a little hard to describe if you have not seen it.

And of course, the actor who plays Sherlock is probably one of the cutest British actors you will ever see (as long as you see him only in his Sherlock costume...). His name is Benedict Cumberbatchn (pretty awesome, right?) and he also makes a brief appearance in The Hobbit as the Necromancer and Smaug's voice. At least, I'm going to assume it's brief, since the Necromancer is not supposed to be in the Hobbit at all except in mentions. Then again, neither is Legolas supposed to have any speaking roles in it, if he appears at all. Yeah, look forward to a rant when The Hobbit: Part one comes out.

Like I said earlier, Jude Law makes a better Watson, but Martin Freeman, who plays Watson in the TV show, is still pretty good, just kind of old... And guess what! He's Bildo! You new you heard that name somewhere, right? He was also in a few other well known movies, such as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Shaun of the Dead (Along with many others). As always, in Sherlock he is the voice of reason, but he's also the comic relief, kind of opposite to the movie version.

Now, I have to quickly thank my sister for pointing this show out to me and my parents. I think they've lost interest, but whatever. They watch documentaries and home decorating shows, so their opinions don't matter. (I'm joking, of course)

So if you're interested, here is the link to the site I'm using: http://www.cokeandpopcorn.com/watch-sherlock-online.php
It's also where I watched Game of Thrones (Of which I need to do a rant about), and there are a ton of other shows, most of them pretty well known like The Simpson, Family Guy, Futurama and all those crappy teen drama things.

No comments:

Post a Comment