Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Tuesday 7 April 2015

Fan Expo!

I think I have a new addiction.

On Saturday, I went to Fan Expo with my boyfriend. It's my first nerd convention, or any convention, for that matter. I've wanted to go to one for years, but I never really had the friends who would go with me. This year I had more friends, though most of them are poor and couldn't afford to go...

We got there around noon, which is about an hour after it started. The place was packed! I knew it would be busy because it was a Saturday, but once we go into the main part of the convention, which is where all the merchants and signings were, it was almost impossible to move. I guess it didn't help that a lot of people were dressed up,some in very large and extravagant costumes that made it hard to get around, or so good that people kept stopping them to get photos. That being said, I definitely dressed up too. Nothing too extreme, since my textile skills are sorely lacking. I just put on my Link costume, complete with the shield my dad made me for Christmas, and the hat that my boyfriend just made me. The costume was better than ever, and still easy to wear. I even had a few people ask to take pictures with me! One was an adorable little boy dressed as the scarecrow from Wizard of Oz.

We did more than just wander around though. One reason why I canted to go to Fan Expo was for the panels. Most of them didn't interest me too much, like the Q&As with actors from shows I don't watch, or tutorials on drawing for graphic novels. Although I'm sure they were interesting, my drawing skills are at the level of an elementary school kid... We visited one panel on cosplaying (costume playing), which was pretty cool. I'm hoping to work on my textile skills a bit, and maybe make a more elaborate costume for next year. The other panel we went to was done by professional authors.

This one was amazing, because these weren't really well known and popular authors. I had never heard of any of them before. And that's the truth about being an author. So many writers see authors like Rowling and Martin and think that's what their life will be, but in the end it's more like this. Writing a few books, making a few bucks, and maybe talking about your craft to a room of fifty people once a year. Not to say that's a bad thing. It's still better than working a customer service job my whole life...

The authors all said a little blurb about their books, then talked a bit about their lives and how they got to where they are now. Most of them were fairly new, having published for the first time within the last few years. One of them had been writing for twenty five years though! They also ranged in genres, from horror/mystery, to post apocalyptic, to children's literature. One thing I realized while listening to them was that none of them really knew how to describe their books in one or two sentences. They all just kept going, revealing more than a few spoilers. Now I know they're trying to sell their books to readers, not publishers, but it just reminds me of myself,and my whole class, how none of us really feel comfortable talking about our work.

There was only time for a few questions, as the panel was shorter than the rest. Something that came up was planning. The veteran author said that there are two types of writers. Planners and Pantsers. Planners are obviously the ones that plan everything out before they write. Pantsers (which I am one of), write from the seat of their pants.They come up with their plot and everything as they write. Apparently Stephen King is a Pantser. It's more difficult, but can also produce some really good work, because it surprises the author and the reader. Of course, there is always the very high risk of discontinuity errors and mistakes, so Pantsers have to be constantly rereading their own work.

I also got a book signed by one of the authors, because he was giving our free copies of his first novel. I'm not sure if he'll actually earn money from that, but my boyfriend was interested in the book, so he might buy the rest of the series.

We stayed at the Expo until it closed at 7, which seemed way too early in my opinion. There was just so much more to see and explore. I wish I had splurged and bought the three day pass, or even a two day pass. But I guess I'll just have to look forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment