Read it Before you Steal it!

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Afyvarra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Pages

Wednesday 14 January 2015

Black Feather Earrings

It's been a long week, and it's only Wednesday. I've had a sore throat for a couple days now, I was feeling really sick yesterday, and my grandma passed away on Saturday.

So yeah, not a very good start to a new year.

This was my final grandparent that was left alive, and I kind of expected her to live forever. She always showed such a resistance to death, even when it would have taken anyone stronger than her. I guess in that way she was the strongest. But of course, age weakens everyone, and no one can escape death.

She was nearly 89 when she passed, so she definitely lived a long life. With five children, she left a pretty good legacy, which I suppose I'm part of. I like to think I take after her, though I just can't get that no-nonsense attitude that she had. I wish I had the courage to say whatever I wanted.

My favorite pair of earrings came from her. In our family, apparently it's tradition to get the girls a bracelet when they graduate high school. My sister got one. But when it was my turn, I received a pair of black metal feather earrings. They are by far my favorite piece of jewelry, surpassing the ring I got in Florence and the necklace I got in Rome. According to my mom, my grandma had seen them and picked them out for me, with no one's help or opinion. She knew I would love them, and she was right.

Rest well, Granny. I'll pick up your torch and carry it with pride. We always need an artist in the family, and although I work with words and you with paint, I think I would have made you proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment